Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sunshine, Sea + Wild Air

"Live in the sunshine, swim in the sea and drink the wild air"
-Ralph W. Emerson

Do you ever stop and wonder why you are living the life you are living? On days when everything seems to be going just right, do you think to yourself "How did I get so lucky?"

My grandparents were such great people. In my eyes, I saw them as people very much in love after many years of marriage, people who were always off to experience some new travel adventure, who always had a word of good advice that was something worth remembering.

My Mom and Dad showed me the meaning of always going into a job or decision giving 110% percent, minimum. What's the point of doing something if you're not going to give it your all? We grew up a military family, traveling around the world and I feel like my brother, Brandon, and I drew so many benefits from that way of life.

And that's just what I mean... how did I get so LUCKY?

I traveled the world before the age of 13, visiting and living in parts of Europe and Asia, seeing things that some will never have the opportunity to see in an entire lifetime.

I traveled all over the US, falling in love with many different cities and states along the way, meeting people who continue to illustrate the pages of my life's story...

My grandparents owned two homes, one in Maryland, one in North Carolina. Both of which they paid for in full after years of careful planning and investing. They were amazing... my idols, in many ways.

My Dad has been patient enough to let Thor and I live in that same North Carolina home, our family's vacation home, while we save up for a home of our own. Not all parents would do that, but the amount of stability it's allowed me as far as financial planning and organizing my thoughts on the next business steps for my photography career has been immeasurable and I am forever thankful for these moments here.

In the next few months, we will be hoping to give back by organizing and beautifying this home, making it the best beach house for our family to vacation in  for many years to come. I can't wait to get started on the home improvements! So excited about having some of our photos printed out and framed for the walls. I hope this house feels like home for everyone who walks in the door, because it's always felt that way for me... even as a military brat whose address changed every two years or so, this was always home.

I'm heading out to the dock today, feeling very lucky to have the chance to do so, appreciative for every single thing that comes my way... even the challenges, they've proven to be some of my best motivations through the years!
(wouldn't be summer without more freckles than cheek space, right?)



 (low tide)
 (view of our neighbor's boat from the dock)

No comments:

Post a Comment